The make system can generate a visual studio solution with a .vcxproj file for each target (libraries as well as executables).
Having tested it, it is clear some improvement is needed.
- it generates vcxproj for 27 out of 93 executables
- Assumes that CXXOBJECTS is before “recipe to build executable”
- Assumes that the 2 are together
- for 66 executables that is not the case
- vcxproj files are scattered in the source tree, not workdir
- Source tree should be kept clean, without generated files
- the vcxproj files, should be kept in e.g. workdir/vs2013
- It does not use the object files in workdir (made by make)
- VC starts by compiling everything again, this should not be the case
- No support for visual studio 2015
It is my intention to improve the script, step by step. Some of the problems have been added to bugzilla as easyHacks.